One of the most concerned situations for mothers is to determine what breastfed baby diarrhea looks like. It is an essential decision and judgment but not a task.
A lot of research resulted in the fact that if your baby stools around 12- 16 times a day, or simply more than the regular, the stools are watery and have a very foul odor; this might be what breastfed baby diarrhea looks like. Also, there might be other symptoms as well.
If we talk about diarrhea in breastfeeding babies, the primary fact which you need to be considerate of is that the symptoms. Such disease would not last long with the availability of the proper nourishment and hygiene required by the baby in its early days.
Let us go deep into the matter and prove of some aid to you mothers out there.
What are the causes of breastfed baby diarrhea?
It might have some reasons for an occurrence which eventually start and lead to the mother as well. So, there are numerous things which cause diarrhea in breastfed babies such as:
• INFECTIONS AND OTHER ILLNESSES:
Most of the babies suffer from numerous infections, let it be a bacterial one or fungal and so on; this becomes one of the reasons.. Other illnesses such as viral infections and diseases might also prove to be another reason for the same. Such pre-existing infections and ailments can become a cause of breastfed baby diarrhea of your baby.
• DIET OF THE MOTHER:
The mother’s diet is always a factor to be considerate enough about. It is because eventually, what you add to your diet will affect your breast milk and so will the baby. There are foods which can add some allergens or sensitive elements in your breast milk.
Some of these foods might include gassy foods, cow’s milk, chocolates, caffeine, and too much spicy food. In such a manner, there are many a time when your diet becomes a reason.
As a result, you need to make changes to your diet.
• USE OF LAXATIVES BY MOTHER:
Use of stool softeners and numerous sorts of laxatives during breastfeeding to make things alright for you is normal and regular, but there are times when the stimulants might pass on to your baby’s mouth and become a reason for diarrhea. In this case, you might need to consult your doctor before you start using any such laxative.
There are times when even adults suffer from diarrhea during or after traveling, so it’s fundamental for babies too. To prevent breastfed baby diarrhea, you have to be extra cautious while you take your breastfeeding bay on traveling and have to pay heed to some facts.
• ADDITION OF OTHER FOODS:
If you are thinking of adding some foods other than breast milk to your baby’s diet, you need to think about what’s right and what is not. For instance, if you think of adding cow’s milk to your diet or any other dairy product, you need to be careful as it proves to be toxic and irritant to your baby’s stomach. Addition of diverse sorts of foods to your baby’s diet can also become a reason for diarrhea, and that is why breast milk is the best for your baby and will help you overcome the issue as well.
WHAT ARE THE EFFECTS OF BABY DIARRHEA ON BABIES?
During breastfed baby diarrhea, fluids leave form your baby’s body and result in numerous effects, such as:
• Baby suffers from dehydration: in this case, your baby will start suffering from dehydration on a heavy note which includes almost less than seven wet diapers in a single day, the mouth and lips start to show dryness as well, and there might be no tears when your baby cries. This all happens due to the sole reason – dehydration.
• Mood changes: your baby might start to show irritating mood changes. This often leads to a lot of irritation on his part and lots of crying as well. There might also be a depressed sort of soft spot on your baby’s head.
• Low feeding: the baby starts to show a low appetite for food too. They will eventually lessen their feeding as compared to the regular days.
These all included the signs that your baby is suffering from dehydration as a result of breastfed baby diarrhea. These symptoms can become much severe too if diarrhea persists for long and will eventually lead to increased dehydration and other effects such as weight loss as well. This might be considered a case of emergency, and you should call the doctor in case your baby is dehydrated.
HOW CAN BE BABY DIARRHEA TREATED?
In case the breastfed baby diarrhea is not very severe, you can take care of it effectively. All you have to keep in mind is to maintain hydration in your baby’s body.
• The primary treatment is breast milk of mother is the best nourishment and food for the baby at this age, and that is why your breast milk will undoubtedly help your baby recover from this diarrhea.
Many mothers stop providing breast milk to their babies after they recognize baby diarrhea, but it is incorrect.
Your breast milk is full of antibodies which eventually help your baby to develop immunity from any such disease. The fluids and nutrition in your breast milk will provide enough nourishment and will keep your baby hydrated.
Your breast milk is also going to prevent your baby from dehydration, and perhaps it will help him to overcome the breastfed baby diarrhea too. Cow’s milk is often toxic for your baby’s health, but you should keep in mind that breast milk is not any dairy product, after all a mother is not a cow, duh!
• Many times, people suggest you provide some oral rehydration methods, but till the time you are providing breast milk to your baby, you don’t have to choose any such oral hydrating method. This is because your baby requires specific nutrients and fluids which are present in your breast milk and thus, it eliminates the use of other external or oral fluids. That is why you do not have to opt for any oral supplements unless and until it is a recommendation from your doctor.
• In case, the reason for this breastfed baby diarrhea is an infection or other illness, as stated earlier; you can consult your doctor for antibiotic medicines which will help in the situation.
• If your baby is suffering from diarrhea and shows the effects and symptoms for the same, you need to focus on things which irritate such as diapers. Often, sort of soiled diapers tends to make the skin very itchy and cause rashes. This is what irritates your baby more. So you need to maintain your baby’s diaper in a clean and dry manner. You need to ensure full protection of your baby’s skin and try to keep it smooth and soft so that it reduces the roughness, rashes, and irritation.
• Many mothers try to give medicines for Diarrhea to their babies, but this is wrong you do not have to provide any medicines even if it is specified for babies. These medicines prove to be harmful to your child after even after curing the disease. Instead, you can take help of natural sources and aids, which breast milk forms a part of.
• In case, the density and effects of breastfed baby diarrhea increase or become too severe; it might be a time of requirement of IV (Intravenous fluids) at the hospital. IV helps your baby in case of severe dehydration.
It might be controlled and be taken care of under your circumstances and without the use of any external or oral supplements or medications, if the problem persists for longer than 24 -25 hours respective of the fact that your baby was healthy, you may need to notify your doctor. In case of diarrhea due to infections and if the breastfed baby diarrhea is carried by fever, infections, severe rashes, and other illnesses, you may need urgent nursing and consultation for your baby.
WHAT IS THE NATURAL TREATMENT FOR BREASTFED BABY DIARRHEA?
The most natural treatment would be you the feeding of your breast milk. It will provide enough and required nourishment, nutrition, and fluid to your baby which any oral supplement would fail at. There are no side effects of breastfeeding and is the best remedy for your baby’s ill health. It also aims at improving the immune system of your bay, and this is the reason breastfeeding is considered the best supplement for a baby at this early age.
Breastfed baby diarrhea is not much rare, and its symptoms can also be spotted easily, you could also consult your pediatrician or child’s doctor for the case of your baby’s health.
These were the details on how breastfed baby diarrhea looks like and also all the facts you need to pay heed to if your baby suffers from diarrhea because as a mother you need to keep it all natural for your baby’s long-term health too.
“LIKE MOTHER LIKE BABY”