Recognized as Borderline Diabetes, prediabetes is referred to a situation of increased levels of blood glucose but it isn’t enough to be called type 2 diabetes. Prediabetes affects nearly 60 million Americans and it has turned into a big public health concern. Patients who are suffering from prediabetes are on the verge of evolving into full-blown diabetes.
According to research, it has been proved that patients can suffer from type 2 diabetes if remain without intervention. When a person’s blood glucose gets elevated beyond normal for a continued period even when it doesn’t reach the critical diabetic levels, then too he suffers from an increased danger of diabetes.
However, the good thing is prediabetes doesn’t predictably results in diabetes and for reversing prediabetes, you must make a change in your lifestyle and diet. You should lose weight and take an active part in more physical and exercise activity and this way, your blood glucose might get back to normal levels with time.
Actually, prediabetes is viewed as a warning sign that the time has come to consider your health more seriously besides addressing the reasons. Patients with prediabetes, the cells begin to turn resistant to the impacts of insulin. Though insulin has a remarkable effect, yet it gets lessened, thus, resulting in a little increase in blood glucose.
Some causes of prediabetes
- Family history – When a family member of yours suffers from diabetes, then you suffer from an increased danger of prediabetes.
- Ethnic heritage – Latinos, African-Americans, and Hispanics suffer from an increased danger of prediabetes.
- Have or had gestational diabetes
- Have polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Is obese or overweight
- Have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or heart disease
- Eating too much sugar, soda, or processed food
- The person isn’t physically active daily and particularly for 45 minutes.
- The person is under high stress and isn’t into healthy ways, such as exercise.
Treatment and deterrence of prediabetes
For preventing the onset of type 2 diabetes, you must preserve the functioning of your beta cells plus delay the cardiovascular and microvascular complications that are linked to the diseases. The prediabetic patients are provided the same advice which is given to the diabetic patients. Obesity is considered a huge factor, and so, weight loss and exercise should be the primary focus of the patients. AACE (American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists) and ACE (American College of Endocrinology) have developed the lifestyle intervention guidelines to prevent the occurrence of type 2 diabetes.
For reversing prediabetes, you must include some healthy habits like:
- You must eat a healthy and balanced diet which is low in salt.
- You must get involved in physical exercise which would take 30-60 minutes, and you should do the exercise nearly five times each week.
- Reduce your weight, and it puts a huge effect on blood pressure, blood glucose, and fat mass.
- According to studies, it has been proved that a low-carb diet is hugely valuable in preventing diabetes.
Hence, it becomes excessively important to check your body for the signs and symptoms of prediabetes and the common signs of it – are excess urination and thirst.