What is acne?
When hair follicles get clogged with excess oil and dead skin cells, acne formation starts. As a result, it gives rise to the appearance of whiteheads, blackheads, pimples, zits, acne cysts and nodules that appears mostly on the face, forehead, chest, upper back and shoulders.
What are the causes of acne?
The chances of aggravated acne on your face can be caused by the conditions like:
- Hormone increase during the puberty stage in both males and females.
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy.
- Use of oral contraceptives.
- During menstrual cycle.
- Due to genetics.
- Excess growth of the bacterium on the skin.
- Higher levels of stress can intensify the acne occurrence.
- Few medicines and some foods are also believed to boost up the acne on your skin.
How does face masks work for acne?
Face masks are a thick paste made by using ingredients which help in fighting and reducing the acne. These ingredients are antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, help to hydrate skin and remove excess oils. They pamper your skin by cleaning dirt from it and providing it extra nourishment by removing the dead skin cells. They open up the clogged pores which are the main reason for the appearance of acne.
What rituals to follow to apply a mask?
- First of all, clean your skin properly. Remove any dirt, makeup or excess oil from the skin. You can wash your face simply with a face wash using lukewarm water or use steam to open up the clogged pores on your skin. You can use an electric steamer or use a boiled pot of water for taking up steam on your face.
- Cover the sides of the washbasin with tissue paper so that if the mask spills, it does not stain the surface.
- You can apply some masks with the help of brush or use your fingers to scrub and massage your skin.
- For applying the mask with fingers, apply it gently over the face leaving lips, eyebrows and eyes area. Apply the mask in circular motions (wash it off immediately if it causes any type of irritation or inflammation of the skin).
- Let it dry for some time as directed and rinse it off with warm water.
- Using cold water after that helps in closing the opened up pores.
- Using a washcloth gives exfoliating effect to the skin.
- You can even use a toner and a moisturizer after this process for good results.
You can make this whole experience therapeutic. After applying the mask, put cucumber pieces on your eyes, switch off the lights, lay down and relax your body, mind, skin, and eyes all at one time.
In this article, I’m going to discuss a few homemade face mask for acne for oil-free, naturally glowing skin by using commonly available ingredients at home. These recipes are Do It Yourself, easy to make, and the great remedy for a healthy acne-free skin. Most importantly, you don’t have to use numerous expensive acne controlling packs lying over the counter which consists of so many chemicals. So make one for yourself at home by using these easy techniques while being aware of the ingredients that you are applying to your face.
1. Turmeric mask
Turmeric is known to have great antibacterial properties and a miracle for the skin. It does wonders for the oily, acne-prone skin. Its anti-inflammatory properties help to calm down the irritated skin. With turmeric as the main ingredient, you can make a DIY mask for acne by mixing it with a few easily available ingredients like raw milk/greek yogurt that contains alpha-hydroxy acid that tend to eat dead skin cells and honey that helps to open the pores while clearing off the dirt. Honey is also antibacterial in nature and works effectively for the treatment of acne.
- Raw milk/greek yogurt (full fat, unflavored)
- Raw honey
- Cotton balls/pads
Directions to make a face mask for acne:
- Mix one tablespoon of turmeric, 3 tablespoons of raw milk/greek yogurt (full fat and unflavored one) and one tablespoon of raw honey together in a bowl.
- Apply this paste all over your face with the help of a cotton ball so as not to stain your fingers with turmeric color.
- Leave the applied mask untouched for 10-15 minutes to do its work.
- You can remove the mask simply by rinsing with water or can use a washcloth or cotton balls according to your convenience.
In India, it’s a tradition to apply turmeric to the ‘would be bride’ just a few days before the marriage for a youthful glowing skin. So all the relatives of the bride would come for this ceremony and apply this paste to her, giving blessings for a great life ahead.
2. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps in reducing excess oil from the skin surface and also restores its pH balance. Its astringent properties help to reduce the size of large opened pores in the skin. Apple cider vinegar in addition to providing a great solution for oil-free skin also helps to even out the skin tone, recovering from sun tan.
You can make a face mask for acne by mixing Apple cider vinegar, green tea, honey, and sugar. Use raw, unprocessed Apple cider vinegar as it is chemical free.
Green tea helps in reducing sebum (a form of oil secretion of the sebaceous glands). Honey has antibacterial properties and Sugar possess gentle exfoliating properties due to its texture which helps in removing dead skin cells.
- Raw unprocessed Apple cider vinegar
- Green tea
- Raw Honey
Directions to make a homemade face mask for acne:
- Mix together one tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar, two tablespoons of green tea, one tablespoon of raw honey and three tablespoons sugar in a bowl.
- Now apply this scrub cum mask on your face and gently massage it with your fingers to unclog the blocked clogs.
- Leave the mask for 10-15 minutes.
- Then rinse it with warm water for a fresh oil-free and acne free skin.
- Use a washcloth for exfoliation of the skin.
3. Green Tea
Green Tea consists of antioxidants which are very good for skin health. Additionally, it helps in reducing excess oil and sebum secretion from the skin. Green Tea also possesses anti-aging properties like wrinkles, age spots, and fine lines, you can make your homemade anti-wrinkles cream by yourself. Being mixed with raw honey, lemon juice, and sugar, it gives a nice homemade face mask for an acne free skin. Adding multivitamins to your diet, you may speed up the process and make your body stronger.
- Green Tea
- Raw Honey
- Lemon Juice
Directions for a homemade mask for acne:
- Mix one tablespoon of green tea /a green tea bag, one tablespoon of raw honey, one tablespoon of lemon juice and three teaspoons of sugar to make a paste.
- Apply it to your face and massage slowly in circular movements.
- Leave it to get dry for about 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water.
- Use a washcloth for exfoliating effects.
Oatmeal is considered to be a good cleanser for acne-prone skin. It is to be used in the ground form to heal inflamed pus-filled pimples and to clean dirt from the pores of your facial skin. When used along with baking soda gives wonderful results to the skin. Using it for 2-3 times in a week helps in lessening acne, whiteheads, and blackheads.
- Ground Oatmeal
- Baking Soda
- Mix two tablespoons of ground oatmeal with one tablespoon baking soda.
- Add some water to it in order to make a thick paste.
- Gently massage the paste on the face like a scrub and leave it for 10 minutes to dry.
- After that rinse it with warm water.
Cinnamon is popularly cinnamon is mostly found in Asian countries like Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia. It is very beneficial for the skin and can be used in the form of powder, oil, mask, etc. It, used in various masks, tend to reduce the acne-causing bacteria and also helps in reducing the inflammation and redness around the skin. Also helps in skin lightening and oil reduction from the skin surface. When used with honey and aloe vera gives a great homemade face mask for acne.
- Cinnamon Powder
- Fresh Aloe Vera Juice
Directions to make a mask for acne:
- Mix one teaspoon of cinnamon with three teaspoons of honey and two teaspoons of aloe vera juice.
- Apply the paste to your face
- Rub the feast over your face for some time in slow and circular motions and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Rinse the Mask with water
- Useful information:
- Don’t use this mask if you have sensitive skin. If you feel any burning sensation or irritation, just wash it away with cold water. Cinnamon, when applied directly to the skin can be very irritating for some skin types.
6. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera plays an incredible role in the treatment of acne. It has medicinal properties and works great for many skin problems like Eczema, sunburns, acne, and psoriasis. It is rich in antioxidants and is inflammatory in nature. Combining it with tea tree oil which possesses antibacterial properties, makes it a great.
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Tea Tree Oil
- Warm Water
- Mix one tablespoon of aloe vera gel with 6- 8 drops of tea tree oil.
- Apply this mask firmly on your face with your fingers or a brush.
- Leave it to dry for 30 minutes.
- After that rinse your face with warm water.
- Use cold water to close the freshly opened pores.
Use this mask 1 to 2 times a week to get rid of acne. If you have too much acne on your skin you can even use it daily.
Strawberries are considered to be a great source of vitamin C, and are more of acidic types and help to fight oily skin. The mask works as a scrub as well as a skin lightening agent. The face mask for acne made with strawberries and yogurt/honey helps in nourishing the skin and also fighting off the acne. We will discuss two types of masks made with strawberry here i.e strawberries with sour cream or non-flavored yogurt acne mask and Strawberries with Honey Face Mask.
Strawberry with sour cream or non-flavored yogurt acne mask
- Sour Cream or Non-flavored Yogurt
- Put 1/4 cup of strawberries with 1/4 cup sour cream or non-flavored yogurt in a blender to make a thick paste to be applied as a mask.
- Apply this mask on your face and leave it there for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse it off your face and pat dry to feel a glowing young skin.
Strawberry & Honey acne Face Mask
- Blend 4 -5 strawberries, one tablespoon honey, one tablespoon lemon juice together in a mixer/ blender to make a paste.
- Apply this homemade face mask for acne over your face while massaging in circular motion.
- Let it dry for about 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with running water and clean your face with a towel to feel fresh, soft and supple skin.
Banana has amazing benefits for the skin like skin lightening, acne reduction, cleansing, anti-aging, dark-circle reduction, oil control, etc. Even applying banana peels directly on the face have proven benefits acne reduction. But using the banana with honey and vitamin- C makes it a good enough. Try using ripened bananas. You can refrigerate the ripened bananas in the freezer to use them as and when required.
- Ripened Banana
- Lemon or Orange Juice
- In a bowl, mash one ripened bananas (should be at room temperature), add two tablespoon honey and put one tablespoon of lemon and orange juice.
- Apply this pack for 15 minutes and rinse with water.
- Use a washcloth to pat dry and apply some moisturizer afterward.
Papaya contains enzymes like papain and chymopapain which possess properties which are antifungal and antibacterial in nature. It also contains enzymes which protect the skin from free radicals which are the main reason for acne. It also contains vitamin B and C, which helps to reduce the release of excess oil.
Papaya helps to remove excess sebum and unclog pores which are also responsible for making the skin oily. It also helps to soothe up the sunburned skin. It also helps to even tone the skin by removing dark circles, dark spots, and blemishes on the skin. The homemade face mask for acne made by using Mashed Fresh Papaya, Raw Honey, Lemon Juice and Coconut/Olive Oil is very good for fighting acne.
- Mashed Fresh Papaya (No Seeds)
- Raw Honey
- Lemon Juice
- Coconut/Olive Oil
- Mix two tablespoons of freshly mashed papaya, one tablespoon of raw honey, one tablespoon of lemon juice and one tablespoon of coconut/olive oil in a bowl.
- Apply on your face excluding the eyes, mouth, and eyebrows area.
- Leave this mask on for 10-15 minutes and rinse off with warm water.
- Use a washcloth for exfoliating effects.
10. Raw Honey
Honey is a beneficial antiseptic, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, cleanser which makes it potent in the treatment of acne. Applying raw honey on the acne makes it itself an incredible homemade face mask for acne that reduces the inflammation and swelling around the acne while killing the acne-causing bacteria.
- Raw Honey
- Warm Water
- Use warm water to open up the pores first.
- Now, evenly apply honey over your face with the help of a brush and leave it for half an hour.
- Clean the face using warm water.
- Rinse your face again with cold water to close the freshly opened pores.
Some additional tips for faster relief:
- Consume a healthy diet with lots of fruits and vegetables. Keep away from fried foods or fast foods.
- Cleanliness is the key. Keep your surroundings clean, free of dirt, dust, and impurities. As the dust will only add to the aggravation of acne and can irritate the affected area.
- Intake of lots of fluids especially lots and lots of fresh water helps to flush out the toxins from the body.
- Do not touch the affected area with your hands, as it may worsen the situation. Picking the acne blemishes can lead to scars or can affect other parts of the face too.
- Cover your face with a cotton cloth while traveling as pollutants can infuriate the acne.
- At least wash your face daily with clean water.
- Try using the mask every alternate day or at least once in a week for good results.
All skin types have a different reaction to different ingredients. Just try these out and find out the one which best suits your skin. Work 360 degrees on your body i.e. cleaning from inside as well as outside to reduce and prevent the acne occurrence. If you have sensitive skin, use the mask carefully, as if it causes any irritation you must wash it off immediately.
Try consulting a doctor if acne persists.
Did you try any of them?